Rocky Road Popcorn Balls are a delicious and fun treat that combines the flavors of rocky road ice cream with the crunch of popcorn. These sweet and chewy popcorn balls are a great snack for parties, movie nights, or any time you’re craving something sweet and indulgent. Here’s a recipe to make Rocky Road Popcorn Balls:
- 10 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup unpopped kernels)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped nuts (usually almonds, but you can use your favorite)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pop the Popcorn:
- Pop the popcorn using your preferred method. Remove any unpopped kernels and place the popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare the Rocky Road Mixture:
- In a separate heatproof bowl, combine the semisweet chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and chopped nuts.
- Make the Syrup:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the light corn syrup, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and salt. Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil and Stir:
- Once the mixture reaches a rolling boil, continue to cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Add Vanilla Extract:
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour Over Popcorn:
- Pour the hot syrup mixture over the popped popcorn in the mixing bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently fold and mix everything together until the popcorn is well coated.
- Combine with Rocky Road Ingredients:
- Quickly add the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and chopped nuts to the popcorn mixture. Continue folding and mixing until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. The heat from the syrup will slightly melt the chocolate chips and marshmallows, creating that classic rocky road texture.
- Shape into Balls:
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly until it’s comfortable to handle but still warm. Using buttered or lightly greased hands, shape the mixture into balls, pressing them firmly together. You can make them as big or as small as you like.
- Cool and Set:
- Place the popcorn balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet or in individual cupcake liners to cool and set. Let them sit at room temperature until they firm up, which may take a few hours.
- Enjoy your Rocky Road Popcorn Balls!
These sweet and chewy popcorn balls are a delightful twist on the classic rocky road flavor. They’re perfect for sharing and make a fantastic treat for special occasions or as a homemade gift.