Roasted cabbage is a simple and delicious side dish that brings out the natural sweetness and nuttiness of cabbage. It’s easy to prepare and can be seasoned to your taste. Here’s a basic recipe for making roasted cabbage:
- 1 medium head of green cabbage
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, grated Parmesan cheese, or your favorite herbs and spices
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare the Cabbage:
- Remove any damaged or discolored outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into wedges by first cutting it in half through the core, and then cutting each half into 2 or 3 equal wedges, depending on the size of the cabbage.
- Season the Cabbage:
- Place the cabbage wedges on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil over the cabbage, using a brush or your hands to make sure each wedge is coated evenly with oil.
- Season the cabbage with salt and black pepper to taste. You can also add optional seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, grated Parmesan cheese, or your favorite herbs and spices for extra flavor.
- Roast the Cabbage:
- Place the baking sheet or roasting pan in the preheated oven and roast the cabbage for about 20-25 minutes. After this time, flip the cabbage wedges over using tongs or a spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Continue Roasting:
- Continue roasting the cabbage for another 15-20 minutes or until it becomes tender and the edges are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Serve Hot:
- Remove the roasted cabbage from the oven and transfer it to a serving platter. Serve it hot as a side dish.
- Enjoy your Roasted Cabbage!
Roasting cabbage brings out its natural sweetness and creates a wonderful combination of tender and crispy textures. It’s a great side dish to serve with roasted meats, poultry, or as a healthy and flavorful addition to your meal. Feel free to customize the seasonings to your liking for added variety.