A Nori Omelet is a Japanese-inspired omelet that incorporates nori seaweed, which adds a unique umami flavor and a pleasant texture to the dish. Here’s how to make a Nori Omelet:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed (sushi seaweed)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions or chives for garnish (optional)
- Prepare Nori Seaweed:
- Start by cutting the nori seaweed into thin strips or small pieces. You can use scissors to do this. Set the nori aside.
- Beat the Eggs:
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and beat them until the yolks and whites are well combined. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Mix Soy Sauce and Mirin:
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar (if using). Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat the Pan:
- Heat a non-stick skillet or omelet pan over medium-low heat. Add the vegetable oil or butter and let it melt and coat the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Cook the Eggs:
- Pour the beaten eggs into the heated skillet. Allow them to cook undisturbed for a minute or so until the edges start to set.
- Add Nori and Soy Sauce Mixture:
- Sprinkle the chopped nori pieces evenly over the surface of the eggs. Drizzle the soy sauce and mirin mixture over the nori and eggs.
- Fold the Omelet:
- Using a spatula, gently fold one side of the omelet over the other to create a half-moon shape. Cook for another minute or so, allowing the omelet to set but remain slightly runny on the inside.
- Slide the Nori Omelet onto a plate, and garnish with chopped green onions or chives, if desired.
- Serve your Nori Omelet hot, either on its own or with a side of rice and a simple salad.
The combination of eggs, nori seaweed, and the savory soy sauce mixture creates a delightful umami flavor that’s both satisfying and unique. This Nori Omelet is a quick and delicious Japanese-style dish that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even a light dinner.