Mushroom, Lamb, and Feta Gozleme is a delicious Turkish dish made with thin, crispy flatbread filled with a flavorful mixture of sautéed mushrooms, seasoned ground lamb, and creamy feta cheese. It’s perfect for a hearty snack or a light meal. Here’s how to make it:
For the Gozleme Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Prepare the Gozleme Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the olive oil and warm water. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the Dough:
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Form it into a ball, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a skillet, heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until they become translucent.
- Cook the Lamb and Mushrooms:
- Add the ground lamb to the skillet and cook until it’s browned, breaking it apart with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in the finely chopped mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown.
- Season the Filling:
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the lamb and mushroom mixture. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Roll Out the Dough:
- Divide the rested dough into four equal portions. Roll out each portion into a thin rectangle or oval shape, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Fill and Fold:
- Place a portion of the lamb and mushroom mixture on one half of each rolled-out dough piece, leaving a border around the edges. Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over the filling. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling to create a semi-circle.
- Seal and Cook:
- Use your fingers or a fork to press and seal the edges of the gozleme.
- Cook on a Griddle:
- Heat a griddle or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the surface with olive oil and cook the gozleme for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the cooked gozleme from the griddle and let them cool slightly. Cut them into wedges, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and serve hot.
Mushroom, Lamb, and Feta Gozleme is a delightful Turkish street food that’s perfect for enjoying at home. The crispy, golden-brown flatbread pairs wonderfully with the savory and rich filling.