Yum Yum Sauce, also known as “Japanese White Sauce” or “Shrimp Sauce” in some hibachi restaurants, is a creamy, tangy, and slightly sweet condiment that is commonly served with dishes like hibachi grilled chicken, steak, shrimp, and vegetables. It’s incredibly popular and versatile, making it a delicious addition to various dishes. Here’s a simple recipe to make Yum Yum Sauce at home:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons water (adjust for desired consistency)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (optional, for added tanginess)
- Combine Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tomato paste, melted butter, granulated sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Adjust Consistency: Depending on your preference, you can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding 1-2 teaspoons of water. Add it gradually and stir until you achieve your desired thickness.
- Taste and Adjust: Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed. You can add more sugar for sweetness, more paprika for color and flavor, or more salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional Tanginess: If you prefer a slightly tangier sauce, you can add 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar. Adjust this based on your taste.
- Chill: Cover the Yum Yum Sauce and refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving. This resting time allows the flavors to meld and develop.
- Serve: Yum Yum Sauce is typically served as a dipping sauce for grilled meats, seafood, vegetables, or sushi. It can also be used as a drizzle or condiment for various dishes, sandwiches, or salads.
Yum Yum Sauce is a versatile and delicious sauce that adds a burst of flavor to your meals. It’s perfect for recreating that hibachi restaurant experience at home or enhancing a wide range of dishes. Enjoy!