Veggie nachos are a delicious and satisfying snack or appetizer that’s perfect for parties, game day, or a casual weeknight dinner. You can load them up with a variety of colorful vegetables and toppings for a healthy and flavorful twist on classic nachos. Here’s a basic recipe to make veggie nachos:
For the Nachos:
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (choose your favorite type)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (or a blend)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (use various colors for added vibrancy)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapeño peppers (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- Sliced avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
- Salsa or pico de gallo (optional)
For the Nacho Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (adjust to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange the Chips: Spread the tortilla chips in a single layer on a large baking sheet or an ovenproof platter.
- Add Cheese: Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the tortilla chips.
- Bake: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Keep an eye on them to avoid burning.
- Prepare the Nacho Sauce: While the chips are baking, prepare the nacho sauce by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, taco seasoning, lime juice, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Stir until well blended. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Assemble the Veggie Toppings: While the chips are still hot from the oven, sprinkle the diced tomatoes, diced bell peppers, sliced black olives, sliced jalapeño peppers, diced red onion, sliced green onions, black beans, and corn kernels evenly over the melted cheese.
- Optional: Add Avocado or Guacamole: If desired, add slices of fresh avocado or dollops of guacamole over the nachos.
- Drizzle with Nacho Sauce: Drizzle the prepared nacho sauce over the loaded nachos.
- Garnish: Garnish the veggie nachos with chopped fresh cilantro and additional lime wedges if desired.
- Serve: Serve the veggie nachos immediately while they are hot, and enjoy with optional sour cream, salsa, or pico de gallo on the side.
These veggie nachos are a crowd-pleaser, and you can customize them with your favorite vegetables and toppings. They’re a great way to enjoy a healthier version of nachos with plenty of fresh and colorful ingredients.