Stuffed tomatoes with grits and ricotta is a delicious and savory dish that combines the flavors of ripe tomatoes, creamy ricotta cheese, and hearty grits. Here’s a recipe to make this tasty dish:
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Tomatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp and seeds, leaving a hollow shell. You can use a spoon to help with this. Sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set them aside.
- Cook the Grits:
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Stir in the stone-ground grits and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked grits, ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and chopped fresh basil. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stuff the Tomatoes:
- Carefully fill each hollowed-out tomato with the grits and ricotta mixture. Press the mixture down gently to pack it in.
- Drizzle with Olive Oil:
- Place the stuffed tomatoes in a baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top of each stuffed tomato.
- Bake the stuffed tomatoes in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender and the filling is heated through, and the tops are slightly golden.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Remove the stuffed tomatoes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired. Serve hot.
Stuffed tomatoes with grits and ricotta make for a flavorful and comforting dish. The combination of creamy grits and rich ricotta cheese complements the natural sweetness of the tomatoes. It’s a great option for a side dish or a light vegetarian meal. Enjoy!