Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese is a delicious vegetarian twist on the classic Italian Bolognese sauce, which traditionally features ground meat. In this vegetarian version, mushrooms are used to create a hearty, savory, and umami-rich sauce that pairs perfectly with spaghetti. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
For the Mushroom Bolognese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) cremini or button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (for umami flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the Spaghetti:
- 8 ounces spaghetti (or any pasta of your choice)
- Grated Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic, and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the finely chopped mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes until they release their moisture and start to brown.
- Stir in the chopped carrot, celery, and red bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Season the mixture with dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce (or tamari), and add the bay leaf. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the flavors meld together.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti (or pasta of your choice) according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove the bay leaf. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a bit more vegetable broth to reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in the chopped fresh basil and parsley.
- Serve the Mushroom Bolognese sauce over the cooked spaghetti. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese or vegan cheese, if desired.
- Enjoy your hearty and flavorful Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese!
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding your favorite vegetables or herbs. It’s a satisfying and nutritious vegetarian pasta dish that can be enjoyed by everyone.