Raw walnut brownies are a healthier, no-bake alternative to traditional brownies. They are made with wholesome ingredients and are naturally sweetened. Here’s a simple recipe to make delicious raw walnut brownies:
For the Brownie Base:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 10-12 dates)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Ganache (Optional):
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks (70% cocoa or higher)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Prepare the Walnuts:
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until they are finely ground, resembling a coarse flour. Be careful not to over-process, or you’ll end up with walnut butter.
- Add the Dates:
- Add the pitted Medjool dates to the ground walnuts in the food processor. Pulse until the dates are broken down and combined with the walnuts. The mixture should stick together when pinched.
- Incorporate Cocoa and Nut Butter:
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder), almond butter (or your choice of nut butter), vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt to the mixture in the food processor.
- Blend Until Smooth:
- Process everything together until the mixture becomes smooth and starts to form a ball or stick together. This may take a few minutes.
- Press into a Pan:
- Line an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides for easy removal. Transfer the brownie mixture to the pan.
- Press and Smooth:
- Use your hands or a spatula to press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan, creating a smooth surface.
- Prepare the Chocolate Ganache (Optional):
- In a microwave-safe bowl or on the stovetop, melt the dark chocolate chips or chunks along with the coconut oil until smooth. Stir until well combined.
- Pour Over the Brownies:
- If using the chocolate ganache, pour it evenly over the brownie base, spreading it with a spatula.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours to allow the brownies to firm up.
- Slice and Serve:
- Once the brownies have set, use the parchment paper overhang to lift them out of the pan. Place them on a cutting board and slice them into squares or bars.
- Enjoy your Raw Walnut Brownies!
These raw walnut brownies are a healthier dessert option, and they’re naturally gluten-free and vegan. They’re perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without the need for baking. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.