Pork burgers are a flavorful alternative to traditional beef burgers. They can be made with ground pork and seasoned to your taste. Here’s a basic recipe for making pork burgers:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 small onion, finely minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional, for extra flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, etc.)
- Condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc.)
- Prepare the Ground Pork:
- In a large mixing bowl, place the ground pork. If using minced onion and garlic, add them to the bowl as well.
- Season the Pork:
- Add the salt, black pepper, paprika (if using), dried thyme (if using), dried oregano (if using), and red pepper flakes (if using) to the ground pork. You can adjust the seasonings to your taste preferences.
- Mix the Ingredients:
- Gently mix the ingredients together until the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the ground pork. Be careful not to overmix, as this can make the burgers tough.
- Shape the Patties:
- Divide the seasoned pork mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a patty about the same size as your hamburger buns. Press the patties together firmly but not too tightly.
- Cook the Pork Burgers:
- Heat a grill, grill pan, or skillet over medium-high heat. If using a grill or grill pan, lightly oil the grates to prevent sticking. Cook the pork burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through and have reached an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C). Make sure to flip them only once during cooking.
- Toast the Buns (Optional):
- If desired, you can lightly toast the hamburger buns on the grill or in a toaster.
- Assemble the Pork Burgers:
- Place each cooked pork burger on a bun, and add your choice of toppings and condiments. Classic burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese work well.
- Serve and Enjoy your Pork Burgers!
Pork burgers are versatile and can be customized to your liking by adding different seasonings and toppings. They pair nicely with coleslaw, potato salad, or a side of french fries. Enjoy your delicious homemade pork burgers!