A garlic, lemon, and rosemary roast lamb marinade is a classic combination that imparts delicious flavors to the meat. Here’s a recipe for a flavorful marinade you can use for roast lamb:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare the Marinade: In a bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh rosemary (or dried rosemary), dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create the marinade.
- Prepare the Lamb: Place your lamb roast in a large resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish large enough to hold the lamb. If your lamb has excess fat, trim it to your preference.
- Marinate the Lamb: Pour the marinade over the lamb, ensuring that it coats the meat evenly. Use your hands to massage the marinade into the lamb, making sure it gets into any nooks and crannies.
- Seal and Refrigerate: If using a plastic bag, seal it and place it in the refrigerator. If using a dish, cover it with plastic wrap. Let the lamb marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but ideally overnight. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Bring to Room Temperature: Before roasting, remove the lamb from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This ensures more even cooking.
- Roast the Lamb: Preheat your oven to the desired temperature for roasting lamb. A common temperature is around 325°F (160°C) for medium-rare. Place the lamb in a roasting pan or on a rack in a baking dish.
- Roasting Time: Roast the lamb according to the size and desired doneness. A general guideline is to roast it for about 20 minutes per pound (450g) for medium-rare, but use a meat thermometer to check for your preferred doneness. For medium-rare, the internal temperature should reach 135-140°F (57-60°C).
- Rest and Carve: Remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes under a foil tent to allow the juices to redistribute. Carve and serve.
The garlic, lemon, and rosemary marinade will infuse your roast lamb with aromatic and savory flavors. It’s a classic combination that pairs wonderfully with the rich taste of lamb. Enjoy your deliciously seasoned roast lamb with your favorite sides!