Kale and white bean soup is a nutritious and hearty dish that’s easy to prepare. It’s a comforting meal, especially during cooler seasons. Here’s a simple recipe for an easy kale and white bean soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if preferred)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of white beans (cannellini or navy beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale (remove tough stems)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Sauté the Vegetables: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add Garlic and Spices: Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, dried rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in Broth: Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add White Beans: Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the drained and rinsed white beans. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add Kale: Stir in the chopped kale and continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the kale is tender and wilted.
- Lemon Juice: Just before serving, add the juice of one lemon to brighten up the flavors. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve: Remove the bay leaf from the soup. Ladle the kale and white bean soup into bowls. If desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy: Serve the soup hot with some crusty bread for a wholesome and satisfying meal.
This kale and white bean soup is not only delicious but also packed with vitamins, fiber, and protein. It’s a great option for a healthy and comforting meal that the whole family can enjoy.