Cloud bread, also known as “Oopsie bread,” is a popular low-carb and gluten-free alternative to traditional bread. It’s called “cloud” bread due to its light and airy texture. Here’s a basic recipe for easy cloud bread:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional, for stability)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional, for flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (e.g., rosemary, thyme, or oregano) (optional, for flavor)
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate Eggs: Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites into two different bowls.
- Prepare the Yolk Mixture:
- In the bowl with the egg yolks, add the softened cream cheese, salt, garlic powder (if using), and dried herbs (if using). Mix everything together until smooth and well combined.
- Whip the Egg Whites:
- In the other bowl with the egg whites, add the cream of tartar (if using). Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This might take a few minutes.
- Combine the Mixtures:
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped egg whites. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites too much; you want to maintain the light and airy texture.
- Spoon onto Baking Sheet:
- Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, portion the cloud bread mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. You can make them as large or small as you like, keeping in mind that they won’t spread much during baking.
- Bake: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the cloud bread is lightly golden and set.
- Cool and Serve: Remove the cloud bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, you can use it as a bread alternative for sandwiches or as a base for various toppings.
Cloud bread is a great option for those following low-carb or gluten-free diets. It’s versatile and can be customized with different herbs and spices to suit your taste. Enjoy it as a light and fluffy bread replacement in your favorite dishes.