Creamy vegan mayo is a dairy-free and eggless alternative to traditional mayonnaise. It’s perfect for vegans, vegetarians, or anyone looking to reduce their consumption of animal products. Here’s a simple recipe for creamy vegan mayo:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy milk or almond milk (you can also use other non-dairy milk options)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional, for a slightly sweeter mayo)
- 1 cup neutral-flavored vegetable oil (e.g., canola or safflower oil)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (optional, for garlic mayo)
- Juice of 1 lemon (optional, for lemon mayo)
- Blend the Base:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the non-dairy milk, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, and sugar (if using). If you’re making garlic mayo or lemon mayo, add the garlic cloves or lemon juice at this stage.
- Blend and Slowly Add Oil:
- Start blending the ingredients on low speed. While the blender is running, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil in a very thin stream. Continue blending as you add the oil. This process emulsifies the mixture and thickens it into mayo.
- Adjust the Seasoning:
- Taste the mayo and adjust the seasoning as needed. You can add more salt, sugar, or lemon juice to suit your taste. If you want a tangier mayo, add a little more vinegar.
- Transfer the creamy vegan mayo to an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator. It will thicken as it chills.
- Use your vegan mayo as a sandwich spread, a dip for fries, a base for salad dressings, or in any recipe that calls for mayonnaise.
This creamy vegan mayo is a versatile condiment that can be customized to your taste. Feel free to experiment with different flavors and seasonings to create your own variations. Enjoy your dairy-free mayo!