Chicken okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese pancake made with a batter of shredded cabbage, flour, eggs, and various toppings. It’s a popular street food in Japan and can be customized with your choice of ingredients. Here’s how to make chicken okonomiyaki:
For the Okonomiyaki Batter:
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (about half a small cabbage)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dashi stock (or substitute with chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (optional, for extra fluffiness)
For the Toppings and Garnishes:
- Okonomiyaki sauce (you can use store-bought or make your own by mixing equal parts of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce)
- Japanese mayonnaise (optional)
- Bonito flakes (katsuobushi, optional)
- Aonori (green seaweed flakes, optional)
- Pickled ginger (beni shoga, optional)
- Prepare the Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, cooked chicken, all-purpose flour, dashi stock (or broth), eggs, salt, and baking powder (if using).
- Stir the ingredients together until they are well combined and the mixture forms a thick, batter-like consistency.
- Cook the Okonomiyaki:
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. If you’re making individual okonomiyaki, you can portion out the batter into several smaller pancakes.
- Pour the batter onto the hot skillet, spreading it out into a round pancake shape, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Cook the okonomiyaki for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to flip them.
- Transfer the cooked chicken okonomiyaki to a serving plate.
- Add Toppings:
- Drizzle okonomiyaki sauce and Japanese mayonnaise (if using) over the top of each pancake in a crisscross pattern.
- Sprinkle bonito flakes (katsuobushi) and aonori (green seaweed flakes) on top for extra flavor and texture.
- Optionally, add some pickled ginger (beni shoga) for a burst of tangy flavor.
- Slice and Enjoy:
- Slice the chicken okonomiyaki into wedges or squares, like a pizza, and enjoy while they’re hot.
Chicken okonomiyaki is a delicious and customizable dish that can be adapted with various ingredients to suit your taste. You can also try adding other toppings like sliced green onions, corn, or cheese for a unique twist. Enjoy this Japanese comfort food!