Buttermilk pie is a classic Southern dessert known for its smooth, custard-like filling with a slightly tangy flavor. It’s a simple and delicious dessert that’s easy to make. Here’s a basic buttermilk pie recipe:
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 single pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional, for flavor)
Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll out the pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie dish. Trim any excess crust hanging over the edge and crimp the edges decoratively. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and all-purpose flour.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and lemon zest (if using). Whisk until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
Fill the Pie Crust:
- Pour the buttermilk pie filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. The pie may still have a slight jiggle in the center when done, but it will continue to set as it cools.
- If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, you can cover them with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
Cool and Serve:
- Remove the buttermilk pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. It’s best served at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Slice and serve your delicious buttermilk pie. Optionally, you can garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Buttermilk pie has a wonderful combination of sweetness and a slight tang from the buttermilk. It’s a delightful dessert that’s perfect for any occasion, from family gatherings to potlucks. Enjoy!