Indian spiced roasted chickpeas are a delicious and healthy snack or appetizer with a delightful blend of Indian spices. They’re easy to make and perfect for satisfying your cravings for something savory and crunchy. Here’s how to make them:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Prepare the Chickpeas:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for easy cleanup.
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Pat them dry to remove excess moisture. This will help the chickpeas become crispy when roasted.
Season the Chickpeas:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpeas, olive oil, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, ground paprika, ground cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Toss everything together to coat the chickpeas evenly with the spice mixture.
Roast the Chickpeas:
- Spread the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the chickpeas are crispy and golden brown. You may want to shake the pan or stir the chickpeas halfway through the roasting time for even cooking.
- Keep a close eye on them in the last few minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Once the chickpeas are done roasting, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro or mint leaves for a burst of freshness.
- Serve the Indian spiced roasted chickpeas as a snack or appetizer. They’re best enjoyed when they’re still warm and crispy.
These chickpeas make a fantastic snack for movie nights, parties, or just when you’re craving a savory treat. The blend of Indian spices adds a delightful complexity of flavors to the humble chickpea, making them an irresistible and healthier alternative to store-bought chips. Enjoy!