Cocktail meatballs in tomato sauce are a classic and crowd-pleasing appetizer that’s perfect for parties and gatherings. These bite-sized meatballs are cooked in a flavorful tomato sauce that’s tangy and savory. Here’s how to make cocktail meatballs in tomato sauce:
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef or a mixture of ground beef and pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil for greasing
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Make the Meatballs:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, milk, chopped onion, minced garlic, egg, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil.
- Mix the ingredients until they are well combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can make the meatballs tough.
- Shape the Meatballs:
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter, and place them on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake the Meatballs:
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake the meatballs for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through and browned on the outside.
- Make the Tomato Sauce:
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the tomato sauce. In a saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir the sauce well and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the flavors to meld and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Combine Meatballs and Sauce:
- Once the meatballs are done baking, transfer them to the simmering tomato sauce. Gently stir to coat the meatballs with the sauce.
- Allow the meatballs to simmer in the sauce for an additional 10-15 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Once the meatballs are heated through and the sauce has thickened to your liking, transfer them to a serving platter with toothpicks for easy serving.
Cocktail meatballs in tomato sauce are a savory and tangy appetizer that’s sure to be a hit at your next party or gathering. Enjoy!